Monday, March 31, 2008

wii are not amused

i admit it – i have officially entered crabby-old-ladyhood. i do not understand the following:
  • reality television
  • thong underwear (why? i spend my whole life trying to avoid this sensation)
  • text messaging
  • video and computer games, specifically the wii craze
the handsome man brought a wii home from work this weekend to play with. yes, his company has a wii. he works for a big advertising agency that buys expensive toys to keep the creative staff amused. apparently amused writers and art directors are more productive and wacky! (or just really good wheedlers of expensive toys.)

anyway, he plugged the wii into the tv in our basement playroom, and he and thing one proceeded to plug themselves into the wii. they spent several hours wii bowling, which i was forced to observe for a while (a short while). 

i was surprised that the graphics were so – what's the word i'm looking for? – rudimentary. lousy would be another word:  the bowlers do not have arms, just two spheres that move around like arms. so when they're getting ready to bowl, it looks like they've had some sort of horrible boob jobs gone badly awry. the handsome man explained this away by saying something about "processing power" and "the computer program drawing the arms" and "more memory." whatever. they looked stooopid.

and here's a wild idea:  if you want to bowl, why not go bowling? at a real bowling alley, with real balls? people do that, i've heard.

i am so glad we don't have any of our own video/computer game crap. if we did, i am sure i would find daddy and daughter down in the basement a few months from now, fluorescent white from lack of sunshine and with thumbs as big as ping-pong paddles (that you, julie, for that imagery).

1 comment:

Suzi said...

I have to agree with you on everything but the video game. The cheap-ass game the "give" you with the system isn't that cool (although, after bowling w/ds for awhile my abs felt much tighter; I'm thinking if I did that for a couple of hours a day, I might not have a muffin top anymore. However, it aggrivated my CTS). The other games you can buy for $50 a shot (unless your 13yo INSISTS she must have High School Musical in which case you spend $60!!) are pretty cool. Plus it keeps my Thing 2 Occupied for hours on end. And trust me, with this child, the more time AWAY from him you spend, the better!!! Plus, it can access the internet which keeps him off MY computer so I can spend my time doing the important things I do. (Wanna see my Free Cell standing??)