Tuesday, January 22, 2008

day five: hanging on

of course our garage door opener broke the night before my husband left on his snowboarding trip.

of course it did.

so for the past five days, every time the ladies and i have needed to leave or return home in air so cold it makes your nostrils snap shut and freeze when you breath in, here's what i've had to do:
  1. strap two wiggly girls into their car seats without benefit of any sensation in my fingers
  2. gently place a double-thick polar fleece lap robe over each little principessa ("i'm coooold! i'm coooold!")
  3. back the minivan (sexy) out of the garage
  4. get out of the minivan
  5. yank on the (old, rotted, ripped) cord on the inside of the garage door
  6. when garage door fails to move, get up on stool (did i mention i'm 5'2"? i'm 5'2"), grab the emergency release cable dangling from ceiling, and yank over and over again until my arm gives out
  7. eventually get the door released and slide it closed
  8. get back in the minivan
  9. curse silently and prolifically in my head

today, when i was clambering back into the van (hard to walk when you can't feel your feet), josie said, "why were you dancing around like a little monkey?"

and inside my head, i made a whole fleet of sailors blush.

1 comment:

Suzi said...

I can so empathize with you. Apparently, my garage door doesn't like the cold. It works FINE when it's 45 (and which of us doesn't?) but, let it dip below 32 & it will only drop 3 inches, stop, and head back up. Instead of mimicing your dancing monkey moves, I sit there hitting the dang button 32 times until it gets w/in 2" of the ground. I figure if the 17lb cat can shimmy thru that, he deserves to get out & freeze his, aw let's just say legs, off!!!!

BTW, my "toddlers" are now 13 & 11. You'd think they could help their poor aged momma. No! They have no concept of a world w/o a garage door opener.

I love your blog & read it daily. You are a fantastic writer!!!