Monday, January 21, 2008

me no hablo toddler

what we have here is a failure to communicate:

toddler: "mommy, can you help me find the strawberries in my yogurt?"

me: "there aren't any big strawberries, honey, just tiny pieces of strawberries."

(pause)

toddler: "mommy, can you help me find the strawberries in my yogurt?"

me: "there aren't any, honey."

(pause)

toddler: "mommy, can you help me find the strawberries in my yogurt?"

repeat approximately 500 times, with toddler's voice growing louder and slower and more insistent each time:

toddler: "MOMMY! CAN you... HELP me... FIND... the STRAWberries... in my... YOGURT?!"

it's like she's the tiniest ugly american and i'm a street vendor in paris, and she's convinced that if she just yells at me enough times with enough volume, i'll stop pretending i don't understand her and give her a damn diet coke, already.

toddler: "MOMMY! CAN... YOU... HELP... ME... FIND... THE... STRAWBERRIES... IN... MY... YOGURT!?!"

(long pause)

me: "just eat the yogurt."

No comments: